In 2012, Kineco was chosen as an Industry Partner of DRDO and was awarded on a competitive basis, the prestigious contract for the development of India’s first ‘Sonar Dome’- a critical component of a warship which houses the Sonar (Sonar Navigation and Ranging) Array- a large component which is considered as the eyes and ears of a Warship or Submarine, used for detection, navigation, and ranging.
The first prototype was built by Kineco after 4 years of rigorous efforts and was unveiled by the then Hon. Defense Minister Late. Shri. Manohar Parrikar at DEFEXPO India 2016 held in Goa.
The Prototype was subject to stringent acoustic & structural validation tests, followed by extensive sea trials on board Indian Navy war ships. The Composite Sonar Dome, jointly developed by Kineco and DRDO successfully qualified for usage, on board all the advanced versions of Indian Navy warships.
Kineco has been nominated by Indian Navy for all composite sonar domes, as a result of which Kineco has bagged a large and prestigious order for more composite Sonar domes which will be equipped on the advanced versions of warships of Indian Navy.
With its advanced engineering capabilities, Kineco has mitigated India’s dependency on imported Sonar Domes, thereby contributing to the ‘Make in India’ and ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ Initiative of the Union Govt. of India.
Capabilities and experience of various Sonar domes
- ■ Design & FE analysis
- ■ Manufacturing & testing
- ■ Associated systems
- ■ Installation capabilities
- ■ Composite Bow mounted Sonar dome (10.5 x 2.8 x 3 meters)
- ■ Composite Hull mounted Sonar domes (3 x 1.6 x 1.6 meters)
- ■ Composite Sonar windows (5.9 x 3.3 meters)
- ■ Materials of construction - Special Glass reinforced epoxy resin system.
- ■ Process – Vacuum assisted resin infusion with fibre optic control.
- ■ Equipment used – Advanced tailor made automatic & PLC based manufacturing and process control equipment